SPEAKER: Anne Elliott
DESCRIPTION: Music, art, and literature are important subjects for our children, even required by law in many places. However, Torah-observant families face a unique struggle, because much of the “arts” are filled with humanistic ideas and even immorality. How can we teach these subjects in a biblical way? We’ll share ideas and specific teaching techniques, all based on Scripture.
DATE/TIME: Thursday, August 10 — 3:00 PM Eastern
I have seven children, five of which are being homeschooled this year (grades 2, 4, 7, 10, 11), as well as two adult children. I’ve been married for 24 years, and we live in central Michigan, where my husband is helping to start a Sabbath fellowship. I am the creator and founder of HomeschoolingTorah.
Simply click the video to start watching! 🙂
Resources from HomeschoolingTorah:
- Literature Club for high-school students
- Chapter Books & Family Read-Alouds
- Music & Piano Lessons
- Art Lessons
Literature Suggestions (1000 Good Books):
The books listed with an “RA” designation after the entry are wonderful read-alouds for young children.
- We have listed some of the books our family loves here. They are NOT all perfect, and many were read years ago before we understood the Torah, so please use discretion. ~Anne
- Using the 1000 Good Books List
- Original 1000 Good Books List (under revision, each title being compared with Torah principles)
- Grades 1-3 Primary
- Grades 4-6 Elementary (under construction)
- Grades 7-9 Junior (under construction)
- Grades 10-12 Senior (under construction)
How to Teach Literature:
- The Primacy of Scripture
- Plundering the Egyptians: Does Secular Literature Have Any Value for Christians?
- On the Use of Real Books in the Elementary Curriculum
- On the Use of Real Books in the Secondary Curriculum
- On Good Books
- How History Becomes Mythology
- Mythology, Fairy Tales, and Fantasy
- Should We Teach Mythology (additional considerations)
- How to Read a Book, by Mortimer Adler
- All Through the Ages: History Through Literature Guide, Christine Miller